Why choose this book?
This is a book for school level students who are interested in learning computer science subject. This course book is designed as per syllabus developed and design by CDC to English medium school students who are interested in knowing what computer programming is and how computers operate. This book takes the students into the world of learning computer programming and computer fundamentals. It presents some elementary mathematics related to computers and introduces the logical operational principles of computers. This book does not assume any previous knowledge about computer science except the required grade wise knowledge of application, OS, programming and fundamentals. So this book is intended for beginners in the field of computing. I have, though, assumed that a person who reads this book has a basic knowledge of mathematics and other subjects’ equivalent to that provided by a high-school education of Nepal.
A person studying with this book should have a personal computer at his or her running a version of the Windows operating System 2007 or later version. It is an advantage if the reader is already able to use the computer for purposes like word processing or writing email or sketching on Mspaint. A connection to the Internet will also be needed on occasion for when the reader has to download electronic material from the Internet. The reader needs necessarily Qbasic, MsLogo and Msoffice for his or her computer.
This book should be easy to read and understand because all examples and tasks are from real life scenario, children friendly, activity based and matters are arranged in order.
Pedagogy is the art and science of how something is taught and how students learn it. How the teaching occurs, the approach to teaching and learning, the way the content is delivered and what the students learn as a result of the process are all included in pedagogy. The following are the pedagogical features in this book:
– Starting from objectives of learning and introduction
– Contents: an overall view of the topics discussed in the chapter is provided, at the beginning of each chapter.
– Why this chapter: describes the need of chapter and why one should read it.
– Visualization: “A picture is worth a thousand words” is a famous quote. This book supports the concepts with figures, diagrams and images to facilitate visualization.
– Bulleted text: The book follows a bulleted approach of writing the text in contrast to the long paragraphs. The bulleted text approach is easier to read, understand and grasp.
– Activity supports active learning for promotion of skill
– Quiz type exercise promotes the processing ability of students
– Binding with curriculum also new technical development is included
– Lab practice and question answer promotes the understanding and skill